In this age of digital marketing, your website can be a crucial communication point for you and your customers. Making sure that the website design and user experience correctly reflects the personality of your brand can be a difficult task, not to mention an expensive one.
If you’re exploring your options about what to do with your small business budget, you’ll find there are two distinct paths you can take: purchase and customize a prefabricated website template or hire a designer/developer/agency to create a custom website design. How can you decide which is the right one for your business? Take a look at some of the pros and cons below:
Pre-made Website Templates
The availability of website templates has grown exponentially in the past 5-10 years with the growing popularity of development platforms like WordPress and Bootstrap. A website template will provide you with an already-coded foundation for you site from which you will need to further customize it with your content. If you’re looking for a quick and simple solution, websites like squarespace.com are great places to start.
- Average Price – Free to $150 (per theme design) or monthly fee ranging from $5-$25.
- Time from Start to Finish – 1 to 4 weeks, depending on your motivation.
- Cheap and very accessible.
- Quick turnaround time.
- Limited/No assistance required from a designer/developer.
- May require some special knowledge/training to customize/setup. Hiring a designer to help setup could be an additional cost ranging from $250 – $1000.
- Limited design customization – usually restricted to logo, fonts and colors.
- Not typically strategy-based in relation to content and layout.
- May have limited functionality or integration abilities.
- Unknown construction quality from the developer (could be buggy).
- Excessive pre-built customization options could be confusing rather than helpful.
Custom Web Design
A custom website design will afford you a lot more opportunity for showcasing your brand and personality, but will also likely be more time-consuming and expensive to develop. The trade-off is that the design is 100% yours, and like a custom built house, is created with your fingerprint. If you are looking for a comprehensive solution, a custom website design is the best approach.
- Average Price – $2,000 to $10,000+
- Time from Start to Finish – 6 to 12 weeks.
- Allows you complete customization of entire layout, functionality and design elements.
- Designer/Agency handles all technical and strategic aspects.
- Built with specialized industry knowledge, web design best practices and research.
- Dedicated support and training available for any technical issues.
- Will require you to hire a graphic designer and developer or a design agency.
- Can be expensive and time consuming.
Whether you are looking for a fast and simple solution like a website template or a more custom website design solution, K Design Co. can help. Talk to K Design Co. today about your web design needs. Or you may want to check out our Web Design and Development Starter Checklist.
I help female entrepreneurs and business owners create brands that command the spotlight. I love working with women to help them create beautiful, one-of-a-kind brands that give them the confidence to take their business to the next level and get them seriously noticed. I’ve worked with coaches, authors, influencers… you name it, and I bet I can help you too.
Sharing is caring:
Kristin Pruis • October 1, 2017