If you’re reading this, you’re most likely facing the decision of using WordPress vs SquareSpace for your new website. Both platforms offer great features and benefits, but how do you know which one is right for your business and which one is better a choice when it comes to your needs?
WordPress and SquareSpace are two of my favorite platforms for creating beautiful websites, but many of my website clients often have the question of which is better. The answer is that it all depends on your needs and your goals for your site. If you’re looking for a quick comparison, here’s a brief rundown of my favorite things about both platforms and a summary about what kind of features they are known best for.
WordPress is a robust popular website platform that caters to almost any business need. It can be more complex to learn, but the flexibility for customization and integration is necessary for a long-term investment.
- Nearly limitless options for third-party integrations + plugins that are easy to install
- Thousands of available themes to customize to your needs
- Built-in blogging functionality and all the tools you need for setting up your own blog and monetizing it
- Can be self-hosted or hosted through WordPress.com
- Ability to create a completely custom design experience
SquareSpace allows you to create gorgeous, simple, and easy-to-use websites with little effort. It’s a great option for businesses that need a website quickly and may not be able to invest in a custom design.
- Easy-to-use, intuitive interface for making edits and updates
- A great selection of modern and beautiful themes and fonts to start from
- Integrations with Mailchimp, Stripe and all popular social media sites
- Easy to get your site up and running within a few days
- Hard to mess-up or make it look bad
From my quick comparison of WordPress vs SquareSpace above, you can see that each platform has its own set of strengths. To pick the right option for your own website you should ask yourself the following questions:
- How quickly do I need my website created?
- If the answer is now, or very soon, SquareSpace may be your best option
- If you can wait a few weeks to a few months, WordPress may be ideal
- Long-term, what kind of functionality will my website need?
- If your website is purely information and requires no additional functionality besides a simple blog or basic contact form, SquareSpace is a great option
- If your website will need added functionality, (or even if you aren’t sure) WordPress has more flexibility in this area
- Will I need to integrate with third-party services I already use? (Email Software, Calendar Scheduling, CRM)
- If your website requires limited to no integration with third-party services, SquareSpace is a great solution
- If your website needs the ability for different integrations then WordPress is probably a better option
- How important is having a completely unique and branded design to me?
- If you don’t mind choosing a template design that has limited customization options, SquareSpace is your best bet
- If you are looking for a more customized design to match your brand and create a unique experience, WordPress is a better option
- Am I willing to hire or find additional assistance to get my website setup and designed?
- If you are looking to save and want a completely DIY option, SquareSpace is ideal and takes little to no extra special knowledge or help to get it setup
- If you don’t mind or would prefer to outsource the design to a web designer or developer, having an experienced professional on your side can help take your WordPress website to the next level
To make things even simpler, if I had to use only one word to summarize each of these platform it would be: WordPress vs SquareSpace – Robust vs Easy. There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to your business! If you are just starting out and don’t need a lot of bells and whistles, SquareSpace can be a great option. If you are looking to elevate your business and brand, WordPress might just be the choice for you.
Still having trouble deciding between WordPress vs SquareSpace? Reach out to K Design Co. to help you create your beautiful, strategic and lovable website and find the option that’s right for you.
I help female entrepreneurs and business owners create brands that command the spotlight. I love working with women to help them create beautiful, one-of-a-kind brands that give them the confidence to take their business to the next level and get them seriously noticed. I’ve worked with coaches, authors, influencers… you name it, and I bet I can help you too.
Sharing is caring:
Kristin Pruis • November 21, 2017